Sunday 29 March 2009

Me My Head, Calories, Dananananaykroyd

So for my first gig in a while i popped over to Oxford's Bullingdon Arms to catch Me My Head, Calories and Dananananaykroyd.

Having enjoyed the music of The Moths! i was looking forward to checking out Me My Head, a band that has many of the aforementioned Moths personnel. The formula has been fairly untouched with the Me My Head maybe being a little harder with the guitars and less over the top with the syths live. In my opinion they sound far better for these small changes. Tracks Damage Is Done, Night Is On Fire and Tumbling Down are my picks from the bunch, if you get the chance have a listen, or even better catch them live!

Calories were another band that i'd heard a few tracks from and wanted to check out, unfortunately live it doesn't work for me. The three piece possed little in the way of presence, had poor vocals and some terrible sounding bass. Seemed to unable to re-produce any of the promise they showed in recordings. Shame.

So it was down to Dananananaykroyd to save the night and luckily enough for me they managed to do just that! The band play with a great intensity and have the chat between between tracks to keep everyone smiling. The first time i've seen the band live so i assume the mini-disco, playing in the crowd and talking to individual audience members are all part of the deal, but it was entertaining none the less. The tracks were played really well, especially The Greater Than Symbol and Black Wax i love the bands slightly off tilt style, playing something fairly timid and dare i say poppy one moment then crashing about screamo style the next. Good stuff!

No comments: